Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Monthly Update - December 2012


I had another really busy month in December.  I put a lot of fresh capital to work for me.  I had almost $15,000 of new purchases.

New Purchases:

100 shares of CSX
100 shares of INTC
24 shares of PM
50 shares of MDT
61 shares of KMI
100 shares of VOD
100 shares of SWY

These posts can all be found by following the "Buys" label here.

Options Trades:

I sold puts in KMI, MO, CSX and SWY.  I closed puts in BBVA, VOD and DOW.  I was assigned another 100 shares of INTC from another put I sold in September.  I earned another $225.90 in profits from puts that I closed out in December and my total profit from options is $2719 for the year before commissions.  I've updated all of these trades on my Options tab.

Dividends:

I earned $495.25 in dividends for December.  I was just shy of $500!  This is my highest total so far and a couple of companies paid early so I don't expect to have this much in dividends again for a while.  This brings my total for the year to $1791.55.  My expected future 12 months of dividend income has increased to $3954.05 from $2988.93.  This is an increase of 32.3% since November mainly due to new purchases.  I also combined my income portfolio with my DG portfolio since the goals are essentially the same.  I left off TSM as it's almost certainly going to be called away this month.  I've updated my dividend income on my Dividends tab.

Goals:

I blew past my initial goal of $2400 in forward 12-month dividends.  I've set more aggressively dividend goals going forward.  These can be found on the Goals tab.

Real Estate:

I continue to aggressively overpay on my 2nd lien for my primary residence.  My goal is to have it paid off by February eliminating a $380.35 monthly payment.

Looking Ahead:

I underestimated my contributions by far.  My portfolio value has gone from 34k in April to over 96k now.  This is mainly due to new purchases.  I've made great progress since starting a DG strategy and plan to aggressively contribute next year.

I will be doing a full 2012 year in review shortly.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! $2700 in option income and $1790 in dividend income. That's absolutely amazing. I'm hoping to be in the same boat as you where it turns out my goals for 2013 ended up being less aggressive than expected. I'm hoping to double my forward 12-month dividends by the end of the year so we'll see how it goes. And kudos to tripling your portfolio value in one year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PIP. You are doing a fantastic job of building your portfolio. I look forward to seeing you hit your goals as well. Take care!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on an awesome month and fantastic year! I see you have added $1000 in go forward dividends over the last 2 months. You are killing it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AA. I've definitely put a lot of money to work the last two months. I don't expect to keep that pace but I'd like to average at least 6k per month in new purchases.

      I like what you're doing with your sharebuilder account and because of you I've opened one and plan to start contributing by February.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. AAI,

    Wow. Another stellar month. I could only wish to be able to contribute $15,000 in fresh capital during one month. That's simply awesome. That's more than some people net in an entire year.

    I love the purchases. I'm long all but SWY. MDT is one I need to increase my position size on.

    Keep up the great work. You're going to be receiving triple digit monthly dividend totals pretty soon.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DM,

      Thanks for dropping by.

      The 15K levels the last two months won't be the normal. I had some large end-of-year bonuses that I put to work. I need to manage my money better for tax time so that the majority of my buys won't be at the end of the year.

      Usually it's a plus that I can follow the markets but the day I bought SWY I was just caught up in the rally after they decided to pay dividends early. The shares moved up and down about 2 points I think that day. Unfortunately I bought at the high end. We'll see how they pan out though. I'd also like to increase my MDT position.

      You are doing a great job yourself. I look forward to seeing your dividends grow as well. It's great motivation.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the achievement!. I definitely need to look at adding option income to supplement the dividend income that is coming in. Best of luck on hitting your dividend goals for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Integrator. You have a VERY impressive income stream. 25k in dividends is incredible. I can't wait to see some of your purchases.

      Take care!

      Delete
  5. An estimated $4000 in dividends coming in this year is great. I'm hoping to clear $3000.

    And $15K worth of fresh capital in one month is sweet. I wish I could be more aggressive in pumping up my portfolio this year. But the way things look, much of my income will be dumped into my emergency fund. Not as exciting as my portfolio, but very necessary if we go through a round of layoffs next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI FI Journey,

      I really need to do a better job of keeping a budget. I have a savings account I put money into because I always owe on taxes and that is usually my emergency fund. Of course if I depleted those funds I'd still have to come up with the money at tax time but it's still a nice cushion.

      Hopefully there won't be as many layoffs this year as the economy rebounds but you never know. The markets have definitely been on a tear the last couple of years.

      Good luck with hitting your goals and congrats on starting a blog!

      Delete
  6. A really great and active month for you. That is a huge increase in portfolio value since April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gareth,

      Thanks for stopping by. It's good to see you are back to blogging. I hope you exceed all of your goals for 2013!

      Delete
  7. Wow man, really good year. I think you take the cake out of the bloggers for the most progress in 2012! I expect nothing less for 2013! Combining the income portfolio with the DG portfolio makes sense. As long as a company increases its distributions over time it's a DG stock in my book. I see BBVA has been a turnaround story. I'm not familiar with that one, but I do remember it was really cheap a few months ago. Very nice pick there.

    CI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey CI,

      Thanks for stopping by. I don't expect to be able to triple my portfolio each year but I admit I ended up a lot better than I thought I would. I hope to average at least 6k in purchases throughout this year. That should keep me on target to hit my goal of 6500 in forward dividends by the end of 2013.

      The income portfolio was going to be where I set aside money to pay my taxes while investing in some dividend paying stocks. I decided to combine it on my spreadsheet since the end goal is essentially the same; to produce a rising income stream through dividends.

      BBVA was one of my best picks last year along with picking up WAG near its low. However BBVA is more speculative and I don't know how long I will be holding shares. It's up over 75% from it's 52-week low. I will likely have 200 shares called away this month though so I'll need to deploy that cash to replace the income. If the market keeps rallying I could see my forward income going down this month while I hoard some cash.

      Take care!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a great December. Keep up the good work! I like the stocks in your portfolio, especially PM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brett for stopping by. I'm glad you like my portfolio. I was hoping to pick up more PM this week but the market jumped up. It's still high on my watch list though. If the market stays elevated then I may hold off purchases until next month.

      Take care!

      Delete
  9. A busy month indeed! A lot of nice purchases and a great dividend haul in December. A forward 12-month dividend mark of nearly $4,000 is fantastic. I am looking forward to seeing how much you increase that during 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I will be keeping an eye on your purchases also. I hope we all exceed our goals in 2013!

      Delete