Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Purchase & Options Trade - WM & SO

I'm reporting a couple of trades in the last two days.  I'm normally able to post these faster but have been super busy at work. There is a reason I combined both of these trades in the same post.

First I sold a covered call on Waste Management.  Many of you may know of WM's latest paltry increase from $.355 to $.365.  This was a little bit of a disappointment as it was only an increase of 2.8% (which doesn't even keep up with inflation!) .  You can find this announcement on their website here.  WM is trading near $34/share (yielding 4.3%) which is at the upper end of their 52-week range of $30.82-$36.35.

The first trade:

I sold 1 covered call, July 20 '13 $34 Call @ 1.30.  If I hold onto this call and WM is trading above $34 around July 20th then I'll likely have to sell my 100 shares for $3400 plus $130 in premiums or basically $35.30/share before commissions.  My cost basis is $29.33 so this would be a decent profit for the time I've held the stock.  However, this would leave me with only 52 shares and  I would lose out on $146 dollas in forward dividends that I would need to replace.  I would also owe capital gains tax on the profits.   


The second trade:

Since WM is sort of a utility type company, I took a look at a few utilities and settled on buying some Southern Co. (SO).  I bought 75 shares of SO at $43.38/share.  Their 52-week range is $41.75-$48.59 so they are at the lower end.  SO has a 4.53% yield and these 75 shares will produce $147 in forward 12-month dividends which would replace the dividends lost from WM.  SO is also due for a dividend raise in June.  Their last raise went from .4725 to .49 per quarter or 3.7% (which isn't huge but expected from a utility and higher than WM).

I guess I'm just being pro-active here.  I could end up keeping the WM shares and SO.  I'm also ok with that since I'd keep the premiums from the call and the only other true utility I have is NEE.

  


4 comments:

  1. I like both of these moves. If my WM position was larger I'd be selling calls like you because I was disappointed with their last increase. I was surprised to see the premium on some KO puts. It's a little longer dated than I'd like, but the May 2013 $37.50 was giving a 12%+ annualized return with a cost basis if executed close to the 52 week low. I would have sold it yesterday but I don't have the capital right now. I need to see if my tax spreadsheet is calculating everything right for my paychecks since my pay is anything but steady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PIP. I'll have to take a look at KO puts. I've wanted to add the company for a while but they always trade at a premium. Selling puts is a good way to get into a company at a lower price. Take care!

      Delete
  2. I almost bought SO some time ago. It's a pretty good utility. I've got PPL, so I'm not really in the utility market at the moment.

    I can't really decide if I like the WM move or not. But if you want to dump the stock, those are probably the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think WM will do ok long-term. There will always be plenty of trash, I just don't know at what rate they can grow their earning. For me, I think I can do better elsewhere. However, if their stocks goes back down under $30/share I might be tempted to get back in.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete