One man's journey to financial independence through dividend growth investing.
Friday, August 23, 2013
Options Trade - Dow Chemical (DOW)
I originally bought 100 shares of DOW back on June 14th for 33.93/share mentioned in a post here.
While DOW isn't really a "core" holding of mine, I am still bullish on their earnings especially due to cheap natural gas inputs. I'll also be using this trade as an example in my next article: Introduction to Options Trading - Part 2 (Calls).
Since June 14th, DOW has increased in price to $37.35/share. I could just go ahead and sell 100 shares for a profit of $342 taxed as a short-term capital gain. This is a 9% profit in only 2 months!
Instead of just selling I decided to sell a covered call. Here's the trade:
I sold 1 Dec. 21 '13 $35 Call @ 3.25. I collected $325 in premiums.
This trade could turn out a few ways:
1) I hold shares until expiration and shares are trading below $35.00. I will get to keep the $325 in options premiums.
2) DOW is trading above $35.00 at or before expiration and shares are called away. I will sell 100 shares of DOW at a price of $35.00/share. My profit not counting commissions in this scenario is the sales price ($35) minus my cost basis ($33.93) plus premiums ($325). This is $432 or a 12.7% profit in only 6 months!
3) Shares of DOW drop substantially and I decide to buy back the call early for a profit less than $325.
I currently have 15 open options positions and a total options profit of $3486 for 2013. My options page has been updated accordingly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment