Monday, December 10, 2012

New Purchase - Medtronic (MDT)

While many are spending extra money and year-end bonuses on unneeded electronics and expensive gifts, I would rather put the majority of my extra money to work for me.  So I started the week off right with a new purchase.  I will likely have 1 or 2 more before the year is over.

I've been wanting to add MDT for a while to compliment my BDX stock and I decided to pull the trigger this morning.  I bought 50 shares @ $42.69/share providing another $52 / year in dividend income.  I will also make the December payment as the ex-dividend date is 12/13.

Medtronic is a dividend champion having increased dividends for 35 straight years.  They have a 5-year CAGR of 17.8%.  They have a low payout ratio of 31.8% and a TTM P/E of 13.7.

Medtronic, Inc. (Medtronic) is engaged in the medical technology - alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life for people with chronic conditions worldwide. Medtronic develops and manufactures a range of products and therapies providing a continuum of care to diagnose, prevent and monitor chronic conditions. On January 13, 2011, the Company acquired Ardian, Inc. On February 25, 2011, the Company acquired Jolife, a privately-held company. In August 2011, the Company acquired PEAK Surgical, Inc. and Salient Surgical Technologies, Inc.

What is on your shopping list?

9 comments:

  1. Nice move here.

    I really like MDT as a long-term holding. I'm opposite of you, however, as I am already long MDT (with a similar position size), but would like to buy BDX shares to compliment my MDT position. I think they're both great companies.

    You're off to a rockin' December!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DM,

      Yeah, I noticed that. You also have ABT which has had a nice run this year. I sold my shares off last year and haven't had a chance to buy back. I do agree with you and like both companies in the space for a long-term position.

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. I would really like to get into both companies so I'm behind the two of you. Both of them are a little pricey for me at the current prices but I really want to own a piece of both. I don't think you'll go wrong with either. I'll have a stock analysis report on MDT coming out soon. If we can get just a bit of a pullback in MDT I'll be scooping up some shares, BDX needs a bigger pullback though for me to buy in. WAG is my only semi-play on healthcare and that's just not going to cut it.

    Nice buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your shopping list question at the end of your post. MDT, KMI and INTC are the only ones that I'm aware of right now where I'd like to buy in. KO and PEP need to drop. I want to get some more defensive dividend stocks in my portfolio. Anything else that you've got your eye on?

      Delete
    2. I'll be looking for your report on MDT. Both companies have a great track record and I really like the healthcare space.

      I'm closely watching KMI, OMI and COP for adding shares right now. I have one trade practically accounted for since I sold a Dec. 22nd Intel put that will likely get exercised. I'm with you on KO and PEP. I would love to add more but not at these prices.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Nice purchase -- one of my most timely investing decisions was buying MDT near its 52-week low last year. I think it's a solid addition to the healthcare portion of a portfolio.

    I also like your recent purchases of KMI and VOD. I don't have enough cash for any additional purchases this month, but KMI is currently at the top of my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and congrats on getting it at such a good price. A 3.2% YOC is awesome.

      I wouldn't add more VOD now just because I made two large purchases recently. I would add more KMI though. I'd also like to add more COP.

      Happy holidays!

      Delete
  4. Very wise to invest your bonus money into a great company. I can only wish I had such wisdom when I was your age, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It looks like you are on the right track yourself. Persistence is the key. Good luck to you and happy holidays!

      Delete