Wednesday, December 19, 2012

New Purchase - Philip Morris (PM)


I set a limit order earlier in the week that was executed this afternoon.  I set it at $85/share which is the 4% yield point for PM.  I bought 24 shares to initiate my position.

I now own tobacco stocks LO, MO and PM.  These 24 shares of PM will provide an additional $81.60/year in dividend income and give me some international exposure.

PM has been on my watch list a while but I was looking for an attractive entry price.  I think $85/share is a good starting point.  


7 comments:

  1. Nice move here. I think PM is a strong long-term winner.

    These prices represent a pretty good value, and I'm interested in adding to my position. However, at 80 shares it's already my largest holding. I wouldn't mind rounding it out to 100 shares, but it would have to stay at that level for quite a while so that the rest of the portfolio can catch up.

    It hit the 4% yield mark today, so that's great. I'm also hoping MO drops back down closer to $30 and I'd like to add to that as well and round out to 100 shares.

    Of course, I'm also looking at energy right now (KMI, COP, CVX) and some other consumer plays (GIS, UL, KRFT, MDLZ). We shall see.

    GE also had quite a drop. I'm concerned about that debt load, however.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DM.

      I am jealous of your PM position. I would be looking to add more on further weakness.

      I really like all the names you mentioned and it's just a matter of buying them at a fair price. I really want some UL (They own some great brands) but have always found better opportunities. I wouldn't mind grabbing some KRFT or MDLZ if it drops much more also. Take care

      Delete
  2. Nice buy! I too have been looking at PM for awhile. I hadnt noticed the price drop since the market continued to go higher. Hopefuly today was the start of a bigger decline. This just reinfoces that theres always some companies that are undervalued in any market. If the price stay flat or pulls back further tomorrow morning ill be picking up some shares. Congrats on the buy and thanks for theheafup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I noticed you picked some up some yourself at a little better price. I think you made a good buy and I will look to pick up additional shares upon further weakness. Happy holidays!

      Delete
  3. Nice purchase! I also noticed the recent price drop. Even though PM is my 3rd largest position, I would consider adding some shares if the price were to continue to trend lower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah , I did not have any PM before this purchase so I figured this was a good starting point. I now have a sizable portfolio weight in tobacco so I may look to boost up other sectors a little more now. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im amazed that theirs still companies selling tobacco that are still around. Its amazing that these companies have been able to survive even prosper under the bad circumstances that they have had to endure for decades with the trillion dollars in lawsuits and other types of blows that these companies have been able to withstand over the years.

    ReplyDelete