Saturday, September 7, 2013

Home Solar System (Update) - I made my decision

http://blog.coolibar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Sun.jpg

If you read my previous article, Buying a Home Solar System Can Be a Good Investment, I was deciding whether or not it made sense to buy a home solar system.

Well after doing a lot of research, calling and checking references, crunching numbers, and getting preliminary approval from the city, I have decided on a system.

A few things this proposal includes that some of the others didn't:

A 25-year Installation Warranty
Energy Usage Monitoring System
Electric Service Rebuild


Here's the proposal that I'm going with:


When all is said and done I'll be out of pocket a little under $12k for a 10.4kW system.  This comes out to $1.13 per Watt.  Anything close to a $1.00 per watt is a good deal.

I'm also comfortable with the quality of these German made panels.  The only concern is that one of their original investors, Bosch, is actually getting out of the business.  This company could get bought out in the next year but I believe their chance of insolvency is relatively low.  This is my greatest risk because if the company went under and I had a manufacturer's issue then I would be screwed.

Here's my estimated system performance:



As you can see, this system is producing over 60% of my usage based on the last 1 year period of my utility bill.  There's a few months that I won't have a bill, March, April, May and probably June with the credits rolling forward.

Here's a look at the financial picture projections:





As you can see, the projected tax-free IRR is 16.84 % with a break-even before year 7.  That's awesome but I think they may have overestimated the rates of increase of my utility bill (they used 4% increase each year, see below) just a little.  By my calculations, I'm still over 10% tax-free IRR which is still a great return in my book.

I do like the fact that they have added the cost of another inverter (life span is usually 15 years) in these numbers.  I've listed the fine print at the very bottom of the proposal:

1) "Levelized Value of Solar Energy" is the approximation of the average $/kWh value of energy produced from the quoted system. The system net cost (in the
installation year), plus any O&M costs, is divided by the amount of energy produced by the system over its life-cycle. This calculation is not adjusted for the timevalue of money.
2) "Internal Rate of Return (IRR)" is the rate of return (annual compounded) that the cash flows bring based upon the amount of capital invested upon installation. If
you financed your system 100%, IRR does not apply since you did not invest your capital.
3) "tax-free IRR": Since the yield is based off of energy cost savings from Solar PV, the investment is inherently tax-free. For comparison purposes, this could be
considered the post-tax return. Returns on other types of investments are often quoted as a pre-tax return. Therefore, in order to do an "apples to apples"
comparison of your solar investment to other investment options, you will have to take into account your tax bracket percentage.
4) "Utility Rate" is the estimated utility price for energy over the next 30 years. The value reflects an annual increase of 4.00%.
* Figure represents the total system cost after applying the 30% Fed Tax Credit
✝ Includes an inverter replacement at year 15.

Now I'm waiting for permits from the city and permission from my HOA (I don't think they can deny it).  Then I can start scheduling my install.  Once the install is done, the city does another final inspection.  The great part is that the installer company guarantees the rebate, so I'm never out of pocket the money that the city will be paying.  This whole project should be done by the end of October and will start lowering my utility bill immediately after.  I'm pretty excited about this. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice. I think you'll enjoy this.

    Have you looked into microinverters?

    Does your electric utility offer net metering?

    I've run into conflict with my own HOA regarding solar panel approvals. It's frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Executioner,

      The microinverter panels were more expensive. The was looking for the lowest cost/watt produced.

      I do get net metering in the same year. So in March if I produce more than I use then it will carry over to next month. I don't have to worry about it starting over in January because the last few months of the year I'm using more than producing anyways.

      I didn't know the HOA could reject it? I thought there was some federal law preventing that. I've got my request in and hopefully I don't have a problem.

      Overall I think this will make a big impact on my electric bill and I can't wait to start seeing the savings.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Nice blog. I've noticed your site awhile back but was finally able to take some time to read things. I like your write up on solar power and the number crunching. Have you ever looked into a geothermal unit for a home? I am just starting to compare the two systems. I am in the construction planning phase for a new home in Wisconsin and building an efficient home interests me as much as dividend growth investing.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RXSKI,

      Thanks for stopping by to comment. I haven't looked into geothermal. I was drawn to the solar panels due to the large credit that my utility is offering. If you are planning on keeping your home for a while then the extra cost of making it energy efficient should be well worth it.

      Take care!

      Delete
  3. I'm really excited about this - it is something that interests me greatly. I see you didn't put in the solar hot water heater. Did you find it was not worth the money or was it not investigated.

    I'm very impressed by your payback period! Also, I don't think your overestimation on energy rate increases was a problem. I do think they're going to continually rise by significant amounts over our lifetime.

    Have you done other home energy reductions? LED bulbs and such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wallet,

      Since my hot water heater is gas and gas is still relatively cheap, the solar water heating isn't as good of an investment for me.

      Assuming no major equipment malfunctions, I'm getting a nice return. I can't complain about the break-even. My city is fairly generous with the solar rebates right now. I have neighbors that lives 1/2 a mile from me and they get no rebate because they are in a different city.

      Well, in order to get approved for solar, I just got my entire A/C ventilation system sealed up. I was getting a loss of about 24% of all of my cooled air. I've now got it down to about 6% which improves my A/C efficiency. This was a pre-requisite in order to start the solar process.

      I have a few light bulbs that I've replaced with highly efficient CFL's but the energy use is so small I don't even notice. I plan to keep replacing bulbs with CFL's as they go out. I haven't added any LED's since they are more expensive.

      take care!

      Delete