Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sharebuilder Weekly Purchase - MO, V, PM, MDT



I'm reporting my automatic purchases for this week (09/17):

I Bought:

$750 of V
$950 of MO
$550 of PM
$500 of MDT

I used $2750 in new capital and added $87.76/year to my dividend income.  This is an average yield of  3.2%.

My forward 12-month dividend income increased to $7355.91.

Note:

My quarterly tax payment is taken care of so I ramped up the buying this week to make up for the last two lower weeks.

I will continue to add to V until it's a full position as long as it doesn't go up too high.  It's been rising since I made my first purchase and was added to the DOW.

I'm probably overweight in tobacco but I think PM and MO offer attractive values right now.  I know these portfolio weights will average out in the long run so I'm not too worried.


Picture:

Just for some fun and to add some color I will be posting pictures of places I've been to.  It's also motivation to reach FI so I can travel and do what I want to when I want to.

This is a picture from Salzburg, Austria last fall.

6 comments:

  1. Pursuing Financial Freedom9/18/2013

    You may have to hold off on your Visa purchases with all of the action today. There will probably be good buying opportunities with the upcoming debt ceiling debate. I placed a limit order at $24.80 that got filled on the penny with 489 CSCO shares. These are shares from my ESPP program. Basis was $13.48, so a nice profit. I'm looking to deploy this new dry powder at some point before the end of the year. Do you have any thoughts on ESRX as a future demographics/obamacare play. According to FAST Graphs they are undervalued and they took a good plunge today on news, that I believe was an overreaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PFF,

      I hope you are right about a correction. V keeps taking off so I don't know if I can build a full position in the short-term. Either way I plan to make regular purchases regardless of what the market is doing. Congrats on the huge CSCO profit. That is fantastic! ESRX looks to have a good business but I have never done much research on the company since they don't pay a dividend. They did help me buy some WAG last year at rock bottom prices :).

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. I agree with PFF on the debt ceiling debate. The last time Congress could not come to an agreement the stock market dropped 17%. If it doesn't happen I will have more capital to deploy. Timing the market is something I don't advocate, but I don't generate capital quickly right now anyway. And a lot of people, right or wrong, seem to think a correction is in order. But as a DGI we shouldn't listen to the noise anyway unless it's about changes to fundamentals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wallet,

      I hope you are both correct. I would certainly welcome a correction. Although Buffett just said recently that stocks were fairly valued, not overpriced, so you never know. I am with you on ignoring the noise but it might be wise to build up a little bit of a cash position.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Nice additions there!

    Question: Are you planning to do regular sharebuilder purchases indefinitely or are you just diversifying accounts? If I remember correctly you started the sharebuilder around 100K? Just curious to your motivations here.

    Personally I have been considering starting a second taxable account and have been shopping brokers. Do you know of any online services that can consolidate accounts for tracking purposes? Having multiple brokers would be a pain when it comes time to update my blog.

    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CI,

      Thanks! Yes, I plan to make regular Sharebuilder purchases until I have at least 100k. The commissions are also cheaper here. I also have a Schwab account that is still fairly small. The plan is to diversify through accounts since there are limits to what they are insured at.

      I don't know of a brokerage account that will keep up with other accounts. I just kee p a separate Excel sheet for keeping up with all my cost basis. I also only buy fractional shares in my Sharebuilder account so its not hard to keep track of, just a couple minutes per week. I update the cost basis and share count for any new buys weekly on my google docs sheet. It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't bad.

      Take care!

      Delete