I hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween! I don't know about you but my treats came in the form of dividend income.
Below is a summary of my activity for the month:
New Purchases ( $11,398.38 NET):
$3250 of TGT
$1500 of BP
$1000 of PM
$1000 of V
$750 of RDS.B
$500 of MO
$500 of KO
274 shares of TWGP ($2011.16)
27 shares of NVS @ ($1971)
Posts about new purchases can all be found by following the "Buys" label here.
Sells:
243 TWGP @ $4.46
I'm taking a big loss on this one. At least I'll be able to write off the losses on my tax return to recoup some of the money. I'm probably steering clear of insurance companies all together after this.
Options Trades:
I sold puts in TEVA, CAT and KO. I closed or had expired puts in INTC, TEVA, BBL, TGH and BBVA. I earned an options profit this month of $941. My total profit for the year so far is $4149. I've updated all of these trades on my Options tab.
Dividends:
I earned $317.70 in dividends for the month. This is well below last month's total that broke $1000. This was expected though since the majority of my payers are on the Mar/Jun/Sept/Dec schedule. My total year-to-date dividend income is now $4376.49 and I'm still slightly ahead of my options income. I've updated my dividend income on my Dividends tab.
Forward 12-month Dividends:
My expected future 12-month dividend income has increased to $8002.20 from $7754.07, an increase of 3.2% ($248.13) in one month. You can find my all of my monthly dividend information from the Dividends page.
Goals:
I completed my goal of hitting $450k net worth, that post is here. I have now completed all but 2 of my goals for the year. All of my goals can be found on the Goals tab.
Real Estate:
I'm actually looking at buying a commercial space to move my business into. I'll post some details of that if it happens. Otherwise, I plan to save up some cash to make a possible rental purchase early next year.
We've had a lot of rain here in central Texas so it has delayed the installation of my solar system. I expect the install to start in one week and it will be on the grid by December.
All of my real estate posts will be found on my real estate label
Net Worth:
My goal was to hit a net worth of $450k by the end of the year. I achieved this goal in October and am now at $467k. This is an increase of $19k Since last month. I am now shooting for $525k by the end of the year but will need cooperation from the markets.
Looking Ahead:
November is my lowest paying month of the year and I don't expect to even break $300. However December will be my highest and will make up for it. I only need another $624 in dividends for the rest of the year to meet my goal of $5k in dividend income. I will break this goal in December.
Since I've already met my forward income goal of $6500, I'm now shooting for $8500. In order to reach this new goal, I will need to contribute another $14,222 to my portfolio this year at an average yield of 3.50%. I'm currently averaging $9183/month in contributions so I think I'll make this new goal. The hardest part may be replacing TWGP's income, they are yielding 18% at these prices and I can see them cutting their dividend for December.
Wow, heck of month of purchases... you shouldn't have any issues hitting either of your income goals. Really crazy to see how far your portfolio has come along since the start of the year when you were sitting at less than $4,000 in forward dividends. Another year of contributions like this past one will really see your portfolio and dividend income accelerate nicely.
ReplyDeletewriting2reality,
DeleteThanks! All were great expect the TWGP purchase. I was caught up in trying to catch a falling knife. It's true, I've more than doubled my portfolio since the beginning of the year. That is mostly due to new capital but the rise in the markets sure helped as well. I'm really starting to feel the dividends that are coming in. I look forward now to each and every month of increased dividends.
Thanks for stopping by!
Holy Moses, that's one heck of a month! I have a bit of dividend jealousy seeing those numbers.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't sweat Tower Group, not every investment will work out as planned. I am in agreement with you as far as insurance stocks though, I steer clear of them because I just can't grasp that particular industry. Insurance companies carry quite a bit of risk, perhaps more than many people realize, although Aflac has been spectacular. I prefer REITs and Canadian banks for financial sector allocations, maybe a conservative large US bank like WFC some day.
Seriously though, you are going to be a multi millionaire and one bad pick will not change that fact.
Hi CI,
DeleteIt was a good month with a lot of new capital being added. My last quarter of the year will typically have more available cash for buying stocks due to end of the year bonuses.
I was killed with TWGP but luckily it wasn't a large weight and I have a diversified portfolio so I won't feel the effects too much. I'm with you about trying to understand insurance companies. This company didn't even know what their numbers were. Good luck with Aflac. I already own and like WFC. I also own TD, BBVA and OHI as a REIT so I have some other solid financial companies to build upon.
I sure hope so! I plan to keep making consistent purchases.
Take care
You are killing it - $11K in purchases was even more than I made. We are both making huge progress these past few months. I love your monthly updates. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think your going forward dividend income will be by the end of 2014? $15000?
$25000 Dividends,
DeleteThanks. You had a killer month yourself! Keep it up.
If you check my goals page I have it listed at $14,000 by the end of 2014. I will be shooting for higher of course!
Thanks for dropping by!
Let's see: A nice batch of purchases, a good chunk of dividends, a forward 12-month dividend total over $8,000, hitting a net worth goal... it looks like a great month to me. I noticed when TWGP got hammered a while ago and I wondered what you were going to do with it. A tough break, but as you mentioned, you can write off the loss when you file your tax return. I look forward to seeing what you buy as the year draws to an end.
ReplyDeleteHey DGM,
DeleteIt was a solid month and I'm thankful I am able to contribute this much regularly. I still feel like I'm catching up for wasting all my money during my 20's. I've had a killer insurance company investment (HGIC) and a complete flop (TWGP). I think I'll steer clear of these types of companies from now on since I don't understand their books very well.
Thanks for your support!
AAI,
ReplyDeleteIn light of Halloween, I'll say you had a killer month! :)
I don't follow TWGP at all. What happened there?
Keep up the great work. You're investing more per month than I gross. Phenomenal progress. Your projected dividend income in a couple years could retire me. Wanna trade places? :)
Best wishes!
Hi DM,
DeleteWhat didn't happen to TWGP lol? The storms in the northeast wreaked havoc last year, they went through a merger and reorganization, their director resigned and they kept delaying their financial results. Investor confidence dropped to nothing and crushed the stock. This is why it's so important to have diversification. I saw the warning signs and chased the falling knife. I've learned my lesson.
My income is high but my expenses are also high. I'll trade you my expenses :)
Take care and keep up the good work on your end as well!
Great month -- congratulations on meeting your net worth goal! Good luck with the other goals!
ReplyDeleteHi FerdiS,
DeleteThanks! I only have one goal left that I can achieve. The refinance at a low interest rate isn't possible at this point. So my last goal should be achieved in December. Good luck hitting all of your goals as well.
Cheers