Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Weekly Purchases - 02/18/14



I'm reporting my automatic purchases for this week (02/18):


I Bought:

$250 of TGT
$250 of DE
$250 of BDX

I used $750 in new capital and added $18.8/year to my dividend income.  This is an average yield of  2.5%.

My forward 12-month dividend income increased to $9384.65.

Note:

I still find shares of TGT extremely attractive and I plan to continue to lower my cost basis.  I also see value in DE and am trying to bring it up to a full weight.  I haven't added to BDX in a while and even though it's at a 52-week high, it's still at a lower weight than I'd like and my cost basis will be significantly less than current values.

Picture:

Just for some fun and to add some color I will be posting pictures of places I've been to.  It's also motivation to reach FI so I can travel and do what I want to when I want to.

This is another picture from the Boulder, CO area while hiking a couple weeks ago on my latest trip

7 comments:

  1. TGT is about where I'd like it currently and it's a much larger position than WMT right now. Hopefully WMT will pull back a bit more and I can add some to bring it closer to equal weight with TGT, but there should be a dividend increase coming shortly so who knows how the share price will react.

    DE and BDX are great companies and I really want to get them both in my portfolio. I need some industrial exposure so it'll probably end up being a mix of DE and ITW. Despite the ACA, I think healthcare is still a great sector for continued growth because our population keeps getting older.

    Like all the buys and that hike looks awesome. The last time I was in Colorado my wife, cousin, and I hiked to the top of one of the mountains in the state preserve down near South Fork. It was so much fun and I can't wait to go climb another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PIP,

      I will go as much as 10k invested into TGT at these levels so I've got a ways to go. I've looked at WMT before but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm getting to the point that I don't want a lot of new positions.

      I'm planning a half weight of DE/CAT for industrials. I also love the medical sector. Unfortunatley, all of my positions in this sector are close to their 52-week highs. This sector is underweight where I want it and I plan to keep adding small chunks at a time.

      Thanks! The hike was a lot of fun. It was freezing cold but after hiking for 30 mins you start to really warm up. The scenery is definitely breathtaking. I look forward to going back as well.

      I just commented on your divideng growth rate calculations as to why you are using portfolio weight instead of dividend weight for your calculations. Maybe you can give me some clarification.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi AAI,

    if you buy shares for only "250 USD".
    How are the costs for this purchases?

    Or are the "automatic purchases" for free?

    Best regards
    D-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D-S,

      I have a Sharebuilder account I use for my weekly purchases. For $12/month I get 12 free trades to do what I want to with. For me this is an easy way to buy small pieces of companies and keeping dollar-cost-averaging.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Hi,

      thanks a lot for the answer!
      I wish in Germany we have something else like a sharebuilder account...
      But the Germans are simply far behind the U.S. in money matters!
      Dumb german money...

      Best wishes
      D-S

      Delete
  3. What do you think about EMR at these levels for Industrial.? I would like it lower but I think this is how low it would go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well first of all they are a dividend champion, having paid an increasing dividend for 57 straight years! So right there you are getting an anchor to your portfolio that you can count on for raises for many years. Their 10-year CAGR , 5-year and 1-year are 7.7, 6.2 and 3.1. So lately the increases have been smaller. At a yield of only 2.7%, and slow growth, they are not on my buy list. They are also closer to their 52-week high than the low. For me, I like SO better. 4.8% yield but they have a smaller streak (12 years) and a lower dividend growth. They are near their 52-week low. When I buy a utility though, I expect a high yielder with slow and steady growth.

      Take care

      Delete