Thursday, November 29, 2012

Electric/Gas Utilities - Should I be buying?

I wanted to take a quick look at a few utilities and see if they warrant further research.  I believe that utilities belong in a DG investor's portfolio to give it extra diversity.

I currently only own one true utility in my DG portfolio, NextEra Energy (NEE) and it has had a nice run.  I purchased about 40 shares in 2011 for an average of $54.79/share.  The shares are currently at $67.92/share or an increase of 22.8% from my purchase price.  They also currently only yield 3.53% which is a little low for a utility.  The lower yield and increase in price is the main reason I haven't added additional shares, I think there are better values in the market.

Here's a quick snapshot showing a few metrics of 5 utilities I'm familiar with and an additional 3 that are dividend champions that I'm not very familiar with.  There are certainly a lot of other utilities out there and a lot of other metrics to look at but I just wanted to compare a few.

DUK
SO
NEE
AEP
EXC
MGEE
UGI
UVC
Yield
4.97%
4.59%
3.58%
4.48%
7.05%
3.17%
3.25%
4.91%
Payout
83.48%
75.23%
45.89%
63.14%
138.76%
56.3%
61.36%
70.55%
TTM P/E
19.57
16.88
13.11
14.04
15.90
18.16
19.46
14.46
Years Inc.
8
11
18
3
0
36
25
52
5-year CAGR
6.2%
4.1%
8%
3.57%
N/A
1.8%
8.1%
2.4%
10-year YOC
9.07%
6.86%
7.73%
6.36%
N/A
3.79%
7.08%
6.22%













The last metric is a 10-year Yield-on-Cost (YOC) that I like to be at 10% or higher.  I talked about how I calculated it in a post here.  None of the stocks meet this criteria.  The closest is Duke but I've used the 5-year CAGR to calculate it.  Their 1-year and 3-year CAGR's are much lower.

For example:  DUK has a 5-year , 3-year and 1-year CAGR of 6.2%, 3.2% and 2.1% respectively.  So their dividend increases are getting smaller (percentage-wise).  This isn't a good sign and something I watch closely with all of my stocks.

Let's look at a stock that is not a utility that I added to recently.  I recently added additional shares of MCD.  They have a current yield of 3.56% and a 5-year, 3-year and 1-year CAGR of 20.4%, 15.9% and 11.9% respectively.  I don't expect a huge company like MCD to keep a 5-year CAGR of 20.4%, the dividend increases have actually been smaller most recently as implied from their 3-year and 1-year CAGR's.

Let's calculate what MCD's dividend growth rate needs to be in order to achieve a 10-year YOC of 10%.

The formula I use is (1 + DGR) ^ 10 * Current Yield = YOC (in this case 10%)
=> (1+DGR) ^ 10 = (.10 / .0356)
=> {using natural logs}
=>  10 LN (1+DGR) = LN (2.809)
=>  LN (1+DGR) = [LN (2.809) / 10]
=> {using fact that e^[ln(x)] = x}
=>  1 + DGR = e ^ (.10328)
=>  1 + DGR = 1.1088
=>  DGR = .1088 or 10.88%

You can actually check this by computing (1.1088) ^ 10 * 3.56% = 10%

So MCD needs a DGR of 10.88% for 10 years in order to have a 10-year YOC of 10%.  This number is lower than the 1-year, 3-year and 5-year CAGR's so I like this bet.

Conclusion:  While I feel that utilities do belong in a DG investor's portfolio, I believe there are better DG stocks to purchase currently for the long-term such as McDonald's.



No comments:

Post a Comment