Friday, November 30, 2012

New Purchase - Norfolk Southern (NSC)


I have a couple of puts that I've sold recently and I could get assigned additional shares of NSC.  However, I don't want to miss out if NSC has a run up in price.  It has already moved back higher than $60/share from a low of about $56.  I do still want to own more of their stock.  I decided to purchase additional shares this morning to average down.

I bought 37 shares @ $60.29/share lowering my cost basis from $67.57/share to $64.98/share.  These 37 shares will also add $74 to my yearly dividend income.  This will be my last purchase of the month.

NSC is a dividend contender that has increased dividends for 11 straight years.  They have a current yield of 3.32% and a 5-year CAGR of 19.5%.  If they maintained this level of dividend growth they would have a 10-year YOC of 19.72%.  Actually to achieve a 10-year YOC of at least 10% that I look for , NSC would need to have a dividend growth rate of 11.66%.  I believe they can achieve this.

5 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about adding to my NSC but I want to keep all the shares in the same portfolio and the ones I currently own are in my Roth IRA which has been maxed out for the year and all the capital spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PIP. I go through some of the same thoughts about having a position in two different brokerage account.

      I have VOD in my income portfolio at Charles Schwab and want to eventually own it in my DG portfolio but I may just buy more through Schwab to keep the shares together. I guess It comes down to wanting to be organized.

      However, if VOD took a dive and I only had available funds in my Etrade account I wouldn't let being disorganized keep me from getting a good price on a stock that I want to buy.

      Delete
    2. Nice buy austinbroker. PIP, I hold the same stocks in different accounts and it drives me crazy. It was the result of great opportunities and cash distribution at the time. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

      Delete
  2. NSC has caught my eye as well after this stock price drop.

    I believe the coal segment will present rather strong headwinds, but that the current price of around $60 is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dividend Monk,

      Thanks for stopping by to comment. Also thanks for the analysis you just did on the company. I see the coal weakness as short-term and expect the company to rebound. I plan to keep adding shares if the price goes much lower than $60/share. Take Care.

      Delete