Monday, December 16, 2013

Real Estate Update - Solar Panel Installation Approved!



This has been a very long process.  I originally started shopping and doing research in August of 2013.  I decided that Buying a Solar System Can Be a Good Investment.

So I Made My Decision in September and picked out a system and installer.

I then scheduled a home energy inspection that basically amounted to extra sealant on the HVAC system joints and around all doors so that no light shows through when the door is closed.  This was a pre-requisite in order to start the solar process by my utility company.  This was done by a third party company referred by my installer and then was inspected by the city.

I then got approval form my HOA and my installer received the necessary permits from the city to start the solar installation.

My install was supposed to start early November but was delayed to a lot of unusual rain we've had in central Austin.  So my Solar Panels were Finally Installed in late November.

I now had to have the city do a final inspection on both the electrical system and the solar panel installation. This final inspection occured on 12/09 and the electrical system was approved.  However, the city determined that 4 of the panels above the chimney were going to receive too much shade!  Booh!

So I talked to the installer and had them come back out the next day to move those four panels a little bit higher on the roof.  The picture above is prior to the movement of those four panels.

A new final inspection on the solar panels occured on 12/16 when the city approved the project!

I'm now fully approved and just waiting for the city to set me up on the grid, I was told this could take about a week.

I'll be producing solar power by the end of the year.  I'm excited and looking forward to cutting my energy costs.

One of the cool things I also had installed was a monitoring system.  I already use HomePlug technology to get internet from upstairs to my downstairs office since my house wasn't wired with Cat-5 cable.  Once the monitoring system was installed at my breaker, I can now view in real-time from anywhere I  can get internet acces the amount of energy my house is using.

Here's a snapshot of what this looks like:



  The 3087 W on the right bar changes every second.  If I am watching the monitor and flip a light switch on, it will immediately jump up the amount of power I'm using.  This probably has something to do with the fact that the speed light travels is almost 300,000,000 meters/second.

I already started going through my house and changing out some of the old bulbs with newer energy efficient ones.  Once I'm on the grid, there will be a green line that shows solar produced right next to my usage.  I will be able to see if I'm producing more or less than what I'm currently using.

I'll be sure and post updates and will most likely include a goal for 2014 that relates to my energy usage.

 Subscribe to receive all my updates

19 comments:

  1. Quite a process AAI. We all look forward to hearing about your results now that the system is up and running.
    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan,

      Thanks, I can't wait to start sharing results.

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that the solar project is approved and almost completely on the grid. I really like that monitoring system. Is that all HomePlug stuff? Just curious what the cost was on that because it could easily save enough money to pay for itself if the price isn't that bad.

    Also, congrats on finally joining DIV-Net!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PIP,

      I should be on the grid before Christmas so we'll see. The monitoring system is really cool. I already had the HomePlug equipment so all I needed was the monitor attached inside my breaker box. The monitoring system was called Lightgauge Residential Data Monitoring on my proposal. I believe it was around an extra $300 or so. I think it will be worth it.

      Thanks, I finally got around to applying. It seems like a great community.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Was the monitoring system installed as part of the solar panel installation, or was that done separately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Executioner,

      The monitoring system was optional but recommended. I think I paid about $300-$400 extra to have it. I think in the end it will be worth it to help track and lower my usage.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Love your monitoring system. Its like Fastgraphs for energy usage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey IE,

      Yeah, it is a big like fastgraphs. There's a lot of different sorting options and it will look even cooler once I have two graphs plotted against each other, one the usage and the other solar production. I'll be sure and post updates.

      Take care!

      Delete
  5. Looks good AAI! Definitely looking forward to the 2014 energy goal as well as the updates on how the solar energy system is producing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi w2r,

      Thanks! I look forward to posting the updates and saving money on my electric bill.

      Take care!

      Delete
  6. I always approve on using less resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wallet,

      I agree! It's good for the environment and my wallet. No pun intended.

      Take care!

      Delete
  7. AAI,

    Nice! Nothing wrong with using clean energy and saving money all at the same time!

    As an aside, this post is a bit of a microcosm on changes in energy sources. This doesn't bode well for traditional utilities; as more people leave the grid it makes it more expensive for the people that are on it, with less people to spread around the costs to maintain the traditional grid. Utilities have never been big growth machines, but with more and more people being able to get energy from the sky that makes them even less attractive, in my opinion.

    Good luck with the new system!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DM,

      Thanks, and I agree completely. It was a long process but I think will be worth it in the end.

      I'm not sure if alternative energy is being built faster than the population growth is consuming but I'm sure it will have some sort of an effect. I remember reading somewhere that the sun producing more energy in one second than the entire world has used since the beginning of mankind. That could be off a bit but it was something to that effect. We still aren't nearly as efficient in solar as we need to be but it's getting better. I don't plan to have a large allocation to utilities. As you mention, they are slow growers. A lot of them struggle to raise dividends faster than inflation.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. It'll be interesting to see how things change because I think we'll still need the traditional grid in the long run. What happens when you have 3-4 days of constant cloud cover? So we can't completely get rid of the utilities, but I'm curious where they go from here. With less people using the utilities' services, how is the cost to maintain/upgrade the existing grid going to be spread out? I'm sure it'll lead to more people swapping to solar, which is a tough call for me. I'd like to have solar installed because it can lower energy bills and actually produce energy and some money, but you need a roof that is relatively free from trees and anything else that could block or potentially damage the panels. Lots of moving parts here, so it'll be interesting to see where things go.

      Delete
  8. Hey AA,
    I completely agree with you on solar panels as I live in Hawaii and just got them installed. My utilities went from $350 a month to $14. Do you get state tax credits where you're at? Between state and federal we get back 65%. I have a post about it here: http://gettingarichlife.com/?p=310 I'll start following you on your FI journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charles,

      Thanks for stopping by! I just added you as well. Wow, over $300/mo in savings is huge. You must have a large system. I don't pay state taxes in Texas so there is no state credit. I do get a very nice city rebate and federal tax rebate covering the majority of the cost.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous1/13/2014

    How much are/were the solar panels. Are you paying on them monthly or did you pay for them all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GDB,

      I talked about it on this post:

      http://www.allaboutinterest.com/2013/08/buying-solar-system-can-be-good.html

      After rebates and taxes it will be around $12k

      Delete