Below is a summary of my activity for the month:
New Purchases: -$2,251.24 (net):
$1200 of KMI
$650 of ESV
Posts about new purchases can all be found by following the "Buys" label here.
Sells:
78 shares of LO @ $52.58/share = $4101.24 (mentioned here)
Options Trades:
I didn't have any options trades for the month. That's the first month since I started trading options that I didn't have a trade. I still have several positions open and plan to continue trading options going forward. My options trading should gradually pick up after April. My total profit for the year is $118.00.
I've updated all of these trades on my Options tab and you can find these trades on my options label.
Dividends (and quarterly graph):
WFC - 37.94
INTC - 112.50
COP - 65.11
TGH - 42.30
SO - 114.19
LO - 79.95
CVX - 78.18
NSC - 38.88
JNJ - 36.45
WAG - 21.42
CSX - 30.00
MCD - 51.63
ESV - 150.00
V - 9.68
TGT - 58.93
TEVA - 52.88
BBL - 125.86
PEP - 26.74
RDS.B - 129.99
BP - 109.48
BDX - 25.12
LMT - 58.52
OMI - 37.50
I earned $1493.25 in dividends for the month. This is an increase of 159% from last March. My total year-to-date dividend income is $2259.78. This is 22.6% toward my goal of $10,000 in dividends for the year. I've updated my dividend income on my Dividends tab.
Forward 12-month Dividends:
My expected forward 12-month dividend income has increased to $9894.99 from $9690.68, a 2.1% increase since last month. Even though I had a negative net purchase for March, my forward income has still gone up. I suspect all of the recent dividend raises from February and March are now reflected in the data I get from Google & Yahoo Finance.
You can find all of my monthly dividend information from the Dividends page.
Dividend Increases:
The following 3 companies in my portfolio increased their dividends this month.
WFC - 16.7% increase announced on 03/26
APD - 8.5% increase announced on 03/20
GIS - 8% increase announced on 03/11
I've now had 13 companies increase dividends so far this year.
These increases can also be found on my Dividend Increases label.
Goals:
No goals were completed in March but I'll post soon about a goal that I just reached in April. I'm still trying hard to reach all of my goals.
These goals can be found on the Goals tab.
Real Estate:
I'm still working on the construction of my office condo which should be ready by June.
My third rental was closed on last Friday and I mentioned final numbers of around 8% ROI here. Next I'll be looking to put it up for lease this week to hopefully get $1300/month.
I posted my electric bill for the second month of 2014 and owed only $5! It looks like I'll pay next to nothing for electricity over the next few months at this rate. So far I'm happy with results.
All of my real estate posts will be found on my real estate label.
Net Worth:
I'm now at $644k, up from $608k. I'll soon have the rental numbers updated on my Net Worth page.
Looking Ahead:
My expected dividends for April are $544.46. Although much lower than March, I should still see over a 100% increase from April of last year.
I'm also nearing $10k in annual foward dividends and will post a milestone about this in the next couple of months when it is met.
I'll be posting about a goal I achieved and hopefully leasing the new rental this month.
My new purchases will still be smaller until May as I am making a large tax payment and coupon this month. Like last year, I'll have the majority of my purchases in the second half of the year.
How was your month?


Wow!! Nearly $1500 dividends for the month?! Thats fantastic, AAI.
ReplyDeleteI can only dream of achieving those levels in the coming years.
Thanks for sharing
regards
R2R,
DeleteThanks! It's my all-time best month. I hope to keep reaching new milestones. You will be there in no time yourself.
Thanks for stopping by!
Heck of start to the year AAI. Between the two real estate deals and the effects of all that capital put to work the last half of last year, things are definitely moving in the right direction. I think the $10k mark is very much in reach.
ReplyDeletew2r,
DeleteThanks! Well the real estate purchase was sooner than planned. I think you have to pull the trigger though when a good deal comes up. If this rental rents out fast then I would consider another one this year. This would obviously take away a little from contributing to my portfolio though.
$10k shouldn't be to hard to hit once I start contributing more to my portfolio after April. The forward dividend goal may be tough though.
Take care!
OMG!!! $1493 in dividends!!! that awesome!!
ReplyDeleteHi FFdividend,
DeleteIt was awesome and I really needed the extra money. However, March is one of my best months, having a lot of payers in the month. April will be significantly lower. I'm still not averaging over a $1000/mo yet but I hope to be this year sometime.
Cheers
Fantastic month! Congrats on closing on your third rental. I haven't even started looking for my first yet.
ReplyDeleteMDP,
DeleteThanks buddy. It's a good feeling closing on a third property but will be much better once I know it's rented. I'll be sure and post an update. Real estate isn't for everyone but I like the diversification.
Take care!
Wow! Congratulations! You basically got a sum of dividends that is equivalent to a salary, also congratulations on closing your third rental, you have an empire on the making!
ReplyDeleteBest,
DividendVenture
DividendVenture,
DeleteHey, thanks! It was my best month of dividends to date. Next month will be much lower but quarter I have a nice trend going upwards. Well if I could earn that much in dividends each month, it would be awesome. Unfortunately most of my payers are in March. I'm still averaging over $800/mo which isn't bad.
I don't know about an empire but I have to start somewhere. An empire starts with a single brick, and now I have 3. It's a good start!
Thanks for stopping by!
I'm watching quite a few stocks right now that are attractively priced, but it looks like the energy market as a whole is cheap - CVX, COP, ESV, KMI, BP, RDS.B. XOM, BBL.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking at initiating a position in ESV or COP. The rest of the market isn't necessarily overpriced - TGH, LMT, INTC, BNS, HCP, PEP, KO, MCD, PM, etc.... Tough choice when I can only buy, ~1 thing right now.
Also, if I made as much as you in dividends I'd be retired :P
DeleteWallet,
DeleteI agree with you that the Energy sector is still very attractive. Unfortunately, I'm already overweight in the sector and trying to look for values in other sectors. Those are all good companies that you mentioned.
I think ESV is offering significant value and should rise as the rest of the drillers do. This could take a few years but I'm willing to wait and collect a fat dividend. I'm holding INTC to see if they raise the dividend this year, I just added a large chunk to KO, I'd like to add more to PEP. PM looks very attractive but I'm already overweight tobacco. It's definitely tough right now.
Well, my yearly dividends still haven't crossed the $10k mark, I just had a lot of payers this month. If I was averaging this much each month then I'm sure some people could live off of that.
Thanks for dropping by!
AAI,
ReplyDeleteCongrats on a phenomenal month. I'm with Wallet Engineers - that dividend income would retire me! :)
Keep up the great work. You're going to be a millionaire here pretty soon.
Best wishes!
Hi DM,
DeleteThanks alot! Well some could live off of that if received every month but my average dividend income is just over half that amount each month.
I'm working on it! It will be a nice psychological milestone at least.
You're kicking butt on your end as well. Keep it up and thanks for stopping by!
Hi AAI -- congratulations on a fantastic month! Excellent dividend income and I'm impressed with your real estate endeavors! Keep up the great work...
ReplyDeleteCheers
FerdiS,
DeleteThanks alot! I like the diversification I'm getting with real estate so I'm sticking to my plan of 50/50 stocks/real estate.
I appreciate you following along!
Awesome job! Almost $1500 for March and nearing $2300 for the quarter is spectacular. I almost passed $1k for Q1 but came up a bit short. If we can finally get a dip in the markets I'll be putting quite a bit of capital to work to really juice up the dividends. That electric bill is pretty cool. Just $5! Looks like you were quite busy towards the end of Q1. I've been a bit more hesitant to use the options market but I hope to get some good opportunities to do so. I'm sure you'll kill it in Q2.
ReplyDeletePIP,
DeleteThanks man. It's great to see higher numbers each quarter. It gets me really excited!
Congrats on getting close to $1k. You are making really good progress. I think a lot of people are still waiting on a big correction. I'm not convinced it's going to happen anytime soon. It's impossible to time these markets so I just make purchases regularly regardless. I can definitely see a benefit thought to having a nice stash of cash in case of a major downtown.
Well, selling puts has been great for me in a rising market. There's always a chance we get a correction and these puts get assigned. I'm tempted to close my PM option for a nice gain right now.
Thanks for stopping by!