Tuesday, April 1, 2014

New Purchases - 04/01/14



I'm reporting my automatic purchases for this week (04/01):


I Bought:

$200 of DE (John Deere)
$200 of MCD (McDonald's)
$200 of V (Visa)


I used $600 in new capital and added $12.53/year to my dividend income.  This is an average yield of  2.1%.

Note:

I'm concentrating on sectors besides Energy and positions that are currently underweight in my portfolio.  All three companies I believe offer decent value currently and are below average weight.

Having close to 40 positions (my current end target), I won't be adding a lot of new positions to my portfolio.  Instead I plan to keep adding to current positions.

I plan to keep purchases relatively low for about another month as I close on a third rental and make a tax payment.

Picture:

Just for some fun and to add some color I will be posting pictures of places I've been to.  It's also motivation to reach FI so I can travel and do what I want to when I want to.

This is a picture I took from the Empire State Building in New York City in 2012.  Such a beautiful city!

4 comments:

  1. I think Deere is pretty cheap right now as well. The lack of a dividend increase is still fresh in my mind which is preventing me from buying more at the moment. I don't plan to sell though because I'd have to replace it with something more expensive. I believe in this company's story enough to weather a mild freeze, whereas I lost faith in some others (like INTC). You know what? If we do end up holding our companies for decades freezes are bound to happen in a portfolio of 40-50. I personally will continue holding long time payers such as GIS, TD, BNS, and a couple others through freezes. IMO a long time payer earns extra time, but still needs to be monitored. Look at GE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CI,

      I agree that DE does look cheap and I'm watching for a dividend increase. They still have until the end of the next year to technically raise the dividend and not affect their YOY increase record. I still don't like 5+ quarters of the same dividend.

      I agree that freezes are bound to happen when holding that many companies. I plan to just watch companies a lot closer when they don't make a raise. DE and INTC are on a close watch list for me. You're right, GE did turn out well but that was an unusual circumstance with them having a lot of financial exposure during the Great Recession. Regardless, it happens and most large companies still recover if we have patience.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm considering buying some MCD. I have a very small position right now that could use some reinforcement. PE is about 17.5 and yield is above 3%. I've got enough capital...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wallet,

      I like MCD here in this market. Decent yield and growth. I'm working to build up underweight positions myself.

      Cheers!

      Delete