Another month has passed and I've received my third bill of the year since going on solar. You can find previous monthly electric bill posts on my Solar label.
If you're interested in why I decided to go solar, you can read my previous posts:
Buying a Home Solar System is a Good Investment
I Bought a Solar System
Solar Panel Installation Approved
Here are the numbers for March:
Previous Bill: $-14.01
My total bill: $-21.00
Currently due: $-35.01 (so $0.00 due)
Projected Solar Savings - $141.31
Actual Solar Savings - $124.87
Projected Contribution % - 116.21%
Actual Contribution % - 120.22%
Here's a visual representation of this information:
While my projected savings has been higher than my actual savings (due to a drop of the amount of credit I'm receiving per kWh produced), my actually contribution to my bill is higher than projected.
This was the first month I've broken over the 100% mark. This means I produced more energy than I used! You heard me correctly!! I actually contributed more energy than I used for an entire month.
With a combination of not wasting as much energy and using more energy efficient lighting (LED's), I have been able to drastically lower my bill so far. I picked up several LED lights from Amazon.com.
My current bill is sitting at -$35.01. Yes that's a negative, so the city owes me money. Basically this credit will keep adding up until it gets used up probably sometime in the summer.
Here's a chart of my actual solar usage versus the projections (based off last year's usage).
I plan to continue tracking these stats for an entire year. Maybe this will help someone that is considering going green.



Hi,
ReplyDeleteThank you for providing these numbers. I am actually really interested in getting some solar panels for my roof. I just bought a house and I am planning on looking into it over the next few months. I made sure to get a provider who will buy back electricity.
Take care!
ILG,
DeleteSure, I'm glad this is helpful. Feel free to ask any other questions. Yeah the provider is the most important since they all have different rules and rebates. If it wasn't for a large rebates I get from my utility, I may not have moved forward.
Take care!
AAI,
ReplyDeleteNegative balance... BRAVO! That is awesome. Makes me want to go out and price a rooftop array. I really enjoy these update, keep it up. It'll be interesting to see in the summer.
-RBD
RBD,
DeleteThanks! I hope to keep it negative for at least a couple more months. Now my water bill is a different story :( I'm happy you like these. It will be very interesting to see what happens this summer.
Thanks for stopping by!
Congratulations! That's an amazing feat -- being energy self-sufficient. Keep posting results and help others make the decision to transition!
ReplyDeleteHi FerdiS,
DeleteIt sure is nice to not have to pay an electric bill. I'm hoping to not owe until the June bill. We'll see how that goes.
Cheers
Haha love the negative bills! As with RBD, this really makes me want to take a look at what it might cost to get some panels on the roof of my place. Something to be considered for sure.
ReplyDeletew2r,
DeleteYou just have to weigh the costs. For me, with the local rebate and tax deduction, it was a no-brainer. It's different with every utility though but certainly worth looking into.
Thanks for dropping by!