One man's journey to financial independence through dividend growth investing.
Thursday, May 2, 2013
Monthly Update - April
April is over and I've made some great progress in meeting many of my goals! I have earned $1141.88 in dividends and $2257 in options income so far in 2013.
Below is a summary of my activity for the month:
New Purchases (Approx. $13,900) :
150 shares of PAAS
100 shares of CSX
$1150 of CAT
$2550 of WFC
$1750 of TD
$3502 of APD
$500 of TEVA
Posts about new purchases can all be found by following the "Buys" label here.
Sells:
none
Options Trades:
I sold puts in COP, CAT, PAAS and INTC. I closed or had expired puts in INTC, DRI, LO, RTN and WM. I earned $779 in profits from puts that I closed out or that expired this month giving me a yearly total so far of $2257. I've updated all of these trades on my Options tab.
Dividends:
I earned $232.57 in dividends for the month. My total year-to-date dividend income is now $1141.88. I've updated my dividend income on my Dividends tab.
Forward 12-month Dividends:
My expected future 12-months of dividend income has increased to $5295.61 from $4750.25, an increase of 11.5% in one month. I've broken the $5k barrier and look forward to hitting $6k or $500/mo.
Goals:
I've already met two of my goals so far this year. I'm well on my way to meeting most of my goals. All of my goals can be found on the Goals tab.
Real Estate:
The condo rental is coming up for renewal in the next couple of months. I hope to increase that rent by $100 also just like I recently did with the house rental. I will be looking into a refinance of my primary residence towards the end of May if interest rates cooperate. All of my real estate posts will be found on my real estate label here.
Looking Ahead:
I expect to have a little better dividend month in May than April. My goal of $5000 in dividends this year will be tough to make. I'm barely over $1000 with four months already gone so I really need to accelerate my contributions so that the second half of the year can catch me up.
My options income is still way ahead of my dividend income. It's almost exactly double of my dividend income. I don't know if I can hold this pace with options but it won't be until the second half of the year that my dividend income has a chance to catch up.
I've set some aggressive goals for my dividend growth. In order to meet my goal of $6500 of forward dividends then I will need to contribute another $34,400 to my portfolio this year at an average yield of 3.5%. I'm currently averaging about $9000/month in contributions and I plan to increase that more in the second half of the year so this goal should be fairly easy to hit. The $5000 in 2013 dividends will be a much harder goal to achieve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AAI,
ReplyDeleteAnother killer month. You're investing more in one month than I do in four. That's fantastic!
You may not hit your $5k dividend income goal, but you'll more than surpass it with dividends and option income combined. I wonder if you wouldn't easily hit it if you were buying equity positions rather than options with the capital you're using on the latter? Either way, that's a hell of a sum of passive income. Keep it up!
Congrats on your success so far. It's really phenomenal!
Best wishes.
Hey DM,
DeleteThanks! I'm trying hard to hit my $5k goal. I don't know if I can do it but I will sure try! It makes it tougher that my purchases are averaging lower yields than what I bought last year.
I'm only keeping 13k max in my options account. It's on margin so I don't have to keep the full value of the put if it were assigned, only a fraction of that. I'm way better off to keep selling puts at this rate, I have a ridiculous return in that account right now.
Thanks for stopping by!
Now that's called killing it. I'm annoyed I didn't put more cash to work earlier in the year. Of course I didn't think the markets would have behaved like this. I'm lagging on my dividends goal but I knew going in that it was going to require sone pretty good purchases early in the year to hit, but at least my option income is much higher than I thought it'd be at. I should be able to cross $1k in June. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteThanks PIP,
DeleteI've stepped it up the last couple of months. I want to hit all of my goals. I didn't expect the markets to be up this much either but I just continue to make consistent investments into high-quality companies regardless of what the market is doing.
You are doing great as well, nice job!
AAI, this is a great result. Getting 500 a month is great number. I can imagine how that can boost your account when reinvested. I am eager to get my dividends into this shape. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Martin,
DeleteI'm not quite at 500 but I should be there in the next couple of months if all goes as planned. You are making some nice progress yourself.
Take care!
Great Month. I'm very much like you in that my option income beats my dividends. Keep up the great work
ReplyDeleteGareth @ Investment Road to Freedom
Hi Gareth,
DeleteThanks! The purchases have picked up a little even though the market has been on a rampage. I try to just stay consistent.
I looked at some of your trades and it looks like you are doing well with your options also.
Thanks for stopping by!