I previously wrote an article where I looked at different dividend rates combined with a dividend growth rate that would achieve a yield-on-cost (YOC) of 10% after 10 years. This article can be found here.
I tend to spend at least an hour per day working with spreadsheets. I'm either creating or modifying them for work or as a screening process before doing more research.
I will go through a screening method that I've used before that will involve David Fish's Champion, Challenger and Contender spreadsheets that are updated monthly, referred to as the CCC sheets.
The purpose of this screening process will be to identify unfamiliar companies that have a high expected dividend growth rate and may be good candidates for further research.
Let's say you purchased a stock at $10/share in 2013 that paid a 4% dividend or $0.40/share. In order to achieve a 10-year YOC of 10% that stock would need to pay out at least $1.00/share by 2023.
I decided to take the latest CCC sheets and add some new columns to calculate a 10-year YOC using each stock's 1,3, 5 and 10 year dividend growth rates (DGR's). I will call these new metrics 10YOC1, 10YOC3, 10YOC5, and 10YOC10 for simplicity.
I looked for any companies that had a 10YOC1, 10YOC3, 10YOC5 or 10YOC10 of 10% or higher. I applied this to the list of Champions, Contenders and Challengers. After applying this rule the lists dropped to 15, 88, and 117 companies respectively.
Next, I wanted to look to see if the DGR was increasing or decreasing. I highlighted in red the 10-year YOC's of companies that were both reducing their rate of increases and still under 10%. This is what the Champions list looked like at this point:

Companies got credit for increasing their dividends at faster rates. For example: The 10YOC5 for AWR was 4.97 and did not get highlighted in red because its 10YOC5 was higher than its 10YOC10 of 4.09.
Next, I decided to remove any company that had a 10YOC1 in the red for Champions and a 10YOC1 or 10YOC3 in red for Contenders and Challengers.
For the Champions list above this removed LEG, MDT, NUE and WMT.
This second step dropped the list sizes for the Champions, Contenders and Challengers to 11, 43 and 87 respectively.
My third step was to eliminate any stock not paying at least a 2.0% yield. My minimum yield criteria is 2.0% so I removed any Champion, Contender and Challenger that did not meet this initial yield of 2.0%. I realize I should have done this sooner so I'll tweak my method if I do this process again. This dropped the CCC lists to 9, 30 and 51.
For my final screen, I removed all companies with a TTM P/E over 18. This brought my final list of Champions, Contenders and Challengers to a more manageable 8, 16, and 23 respectively.
Here are the 47 candidates sorted by the 10YOC5 column that may be worthy to do further research on.
Champions
Contenders
Challengers
Immediately I notice several companies that I'm already invested in including Walgreen Company (WAG), Altria Group (MO), McDonald's (MCD), Chevron (CVX), Lockheed Martin (LMT), Teva Pharmaceutical (TEVA), Phillip Morris (PM), Lorillard (LO) and Intel (INTC) just to name a few.
I also notice several companies all in different industries that look interesting at first glance based on metrics such as P/E, PEG, payout, yield and dividend growth. Some of these companies are: ACE Limited (ACE), VF Corp. (VFC), Span-America Medical (SPAN) and Occidental Petroleum (OXY).
ACE is a global insurance and reinsurance organization with customers in more than 170 countries. They have paid increasing dividends for 20 straight years and have been averaging at least two increases per year for the last several years. Their yield is currently 2.3%. They have a TTM P/E of 10.86, a PEG of 2.48 and payout ratio of 25% so there is a lot of room left for dividend growth.
VFC is a global apparel company based in the U.S. They are a diversified apparel company across brands and geographies. They own brands such as Timberland, Wrangler, Reef, 7 For All Mankind and The North Face to just name a few. VFC has 40 straight years of dividend increases. They have a yield of 2.3%, TTM P/E of 16.3, PEG of 1.56 and a payout ratio of 38%.
SPAN manufactures and distributes a variety of therapeutic support surfaces including foam products for the medical, consumer and industrial markets. Span has increased dividends for 14 straight years. They have a current yield of 2.6%, TTM P/E of 10.7 and payout of only 28%.
OXY is an integrated oil & gas company. They operate in three main segments: oil & gas, chemicals and midstream. OXY has increased its dividend for 10 straight years. They have a current yield of 2.45%. They have a TTM P/E of 12.1, PEG of 1.8 and payout ratio of 30%.
Keep in mind that this is just a starting point but I feel these companies deserve further research before making an investment.
If anyone thinks this process may be helpful then I may post results again next month to see how many changes or new companies there are.
Hrmmm...I like the methodology. I've never gotten around to altering the list to meet my criteria. Although I probably should start working on that because it'll make the screening much easier. That's a nice list. I like VF Corp so if we get a pullback they might be joining forces with me.
ReplyDeleteI'm always sorting those CCC sheets to look at companies to possibly invest in. VF does look like a good company, their yield is just a little low. However, as shown, their dividend growth could more than make up for that if it doesn't go down. I think DGM purchased some recently and did a report about the company also.
DeleteThanks for stopping by!
Very nice write up. It's pretty similar to the method that I use to perform an initial stock screen.
ReplyDeleteIf I could just find an easier way to combine real time stock data with the CCC dividend growth metrics I would be a happy camper. And this process would go much faster. Google Sheets is okay, but doesn't have the full functionality that I need. I can get stock data pulled into Excel, but not in the format I need.
My FIJ,
DeleteIt's nice to see others are doing a similar screen.
My Excel sheet that I use to track my stocks pulls in quotes, P/E, Market Cap and Beta automatically from Yahoo. I use the Data -> From Web tabs in Excel 07 to do this. I also have formulas that pull in information from another Excel sheet (the CCC list) for calculating these 10-year YOC numbers. Every time I update the CCC sheet with the latest version then my original spreadsheet gets updated automatically as long as I save it as the same file name. If you think that's helpful you can email me through seeking alpha and I might be able to help do what you need.
Take care!
Wow, you did all the job for us. Now let's pick em up and start investing :-))
ReplyDeleteWell, thanks for this post. I like this method weeding out companies which may not grow enough in the long run. I was considering WMT. Based on your article I now may re-consider. I will incorporate this into my own watch list screening, since sometimes I stare at my watch list asking what to buy now. This can help a lot to pick the next winner I will be adding into my portfolio.
Hey Martin,
DeleteThis is just one of the screening processes that I use before doing more research. I'm glad that you think it's helpful. Thanks for commenting.
Investing in dividend stocks is a great idea. I like real estate investment trusts that own brick and mortar buildings the real thing as it were. You not only get a nice yield but the value of the real estate that the trust owns increases in value over time along with the rents that they charge on the space their leasing out so the dividend income stream should increase over time as well. One really big mistake investors can make is investing in stocks with very high yields. By very high I mean north of 8%. Companies credit ratings usually follow their yields so if a stock is yielding over ten percent theirs usually a great deal of reservations as to the ability of the company to maintain their high dividend payout. Worse yet the company could be in much more serious trouble and do away with their dividend payout altogether.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in regards to a high dividend yield. Anything north of about 5% usually sends a red flag to me. Obviously there are some MLP/REIT's with different structures that pay high rates and can maintain these rates. It's important to take a look at a company's fundamentals. It's a bad idea to just buy on yield. I learned this the hard way with EXC. I hope to not make that mistake again.
DeleteNice analysis. I don't really use projected YOC as a screening criterion, but I do include a column for projected 10-year YOC (based on either the past 5- or 10-year DGR, or my own conservatively estimated future DGR) on my watch list spreadsheet. I'm not a stickler for getting a 10% YOC in 10 years, but I do take note of when the numbers suggest that possibility.
ReplyDeleteHi DGM,
DeleteThat's typically where I have the 10-year YOC's is on my watchlist. This is one of the first times I've used it to do a screening. I might try this again in a month to see what differences come up. There are a lot of different ways to screen the CCC list and using a 10% YOC in 10 years isn't a requirement for me but it's definitely nice to see.
Take care!
The MCD 10 yr YOC looks surprisingly high and seems to shoot up quite considerably between 5 yr and 10 yr? I like MCD at these levels, but would like to buy it a little lower. I am tempted to sell a put option against it and see if I can purchase at a yield closer to 3.5- 4% if and when it gets there.
ReplyDeleteThe 10-yr YOC using the 10-year DGR is extremely high and not sustainable IMO. That's why I compare it using the more recent DGR rates. I think a 3.5-4% yield on MCD is a great starting point. I also like selling puts to get these great companies at cheaper prices.
DeleteThanks for commenting!
As Martin said, thanks for doing the work for us! In all seriousness, nice work. I'm sure it is reaffirming for you when you apply a method like this and discover you are holding several of the resulting stocks.
ReplyDeleteHi writing2reality,
DeleteI'm glad it's helpful. This is just one screen I've used, there are still a lot of things to look at before deciding to make a purchase. It is nice that a lot of the companies I've invested in have come up on this search though.
You have a nice blog it looks like at a quick glance. I'll have to stop by and take more of a look later.
Thanks for dropping by!
The drop in WAG during the past year over Express Scripts was an unexpected gift for those of us who hadn't pulled the trigger yet. Short term problems, but long term story still intact. I love it when that happens.
ReplyDeleteHi S.B.,
DeleteWAG was one of my best buys last year at under $30/share. My only regret is that I didn't buy more! Even at $40/share I don't think they are overvalued.
Sorry to see you leaving the blogging world. At least you have time to stop by a few blogs and comment every once in a while.
Take care!
Nice post. I like your all strategies and also think that investing in dividend stock is a good investment. It attracts the investors because of less risk. Dividend stocks also give a steady income stream to the investors.
ReplyDelete