Friday, February 1, 2013

Monthly Update - January 2013


I had a really busy month to start the new year off in January.  I received $80.05 in dividends and $513 from options income.  It will be interesting to see if my options income can stay ahead of my dividends income.

New Purchases:

102 shares of INTC
75 shares of SO
$250 worth of MDT
$850 worth of MO
$250 worth of JNJ
$1000 worth of PM
$1150 worth of TEVA
$500 worth of RDS.B

Sells:
100 TSM (called away)
200 BBVA (called away)
35 shares of DOW
33 shares of HAS
52 shares of WM

Posts about new purchases can all be found by following the "Buys" label here.

Options Trades:

I sold puts in INTC, LO and PM.  I closed or had expired puts in BBVA and NSC.  I sold calls in WM, BBVA and SWY.  I earned $513 in profits from puts that I closed out or that expired this month.giving me a nice start to the year.  I've updated all of these trades on my Options tab.

Dividends:

I earned $80.05 in dividends for January.  This was quite a bit lower than the almost $500 in December.  My expected future 12 months of dividend income has increased to $4087.47 from $3954.05. This is an increase of 3.4% since December.   I've updated my dividend income on my Dividends tab.

Goals:

I have set some new and more aggressive goals for 2013.  I've already met one of these goals of paying off my second lien.  That post can be found here.  All of my goals can be found on the Goals tab.

Real Estate:

My 2nd lien is paid off saving me over $380/month.  My next real estate goal is to refinance my first mortgage into a lower interest rate.

Looking Ahead:

I've set some aggressive goals for my dividend growth.  I will need to contribute at least $80k to my portfolio this year to hit my goals.  The majority of my purchases will likely be the second half of the year.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the 2nd lien paid off. That extra $380 in cash flow will help out a lot. My dividends for January were pretty light, but 2 companies that I own moved their January payment to December due to the fiscal cliff mess, so it'll creep up from here just due to that.

    $500+ in option income is fantastic. I went on a bit of an option selling spree by selling 2 calls and 2 puts. If they all expire that'll be over $550 as profit.

    Congrats again on a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PIP. It's nice to be able to eliminate a recurring bill.

      Like you, I don't have a lot of January payers and I did have a couple companies that moved up their dividends to December. I expect more dividends in February and March.

      I don't think the options income can keep pace with the dividends but I can try. It's nice to see you trading more options. I will be keeping an eye on your trades.

      Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. A busy month indeed -- keep up the good work! You've set some aggressive goals, but you're also aggressively building your portfolio, which is leading to rapid progress.

    January was also a light month for dividends for me, but my dividend income will be higher in February. It will be especially good in March -- I now own several stocks that pay on a Mar-Jun-Sep-Dec schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DGM,

      It was a really busy month even though the value of my portfolio didn't go up much. I had quite a few sells though. I think I'll make more progress in February in that regard.

      Like you, I expect a better Feb. and much better March. It seems a lot of DG investors are on the Mar-Jun-Sep-Dec schedule. At this time I'm not concerned but It would be nice to smooth out the dividends a little more eventually.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. AAI,

    Another great month. You made some quality purchases, paid off a second lien, received a very healthy dose of option and dividend income and got rid of some holdings that you felt were not going to fit into your long-term strategy. Another month closer to all of your goals! Keep up the great work.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DM,

      Paying off the second lien was huge. Now I can take a breather, start investing more in my DG portfolio and figure out what I'm going to owe in taxes.

      I was able to rid some companies that probably didn't belong long-term. I will always have a speculative position or two but I have been overhauling my portfolio recently. I think it will pay off in the long-term.

      Take care!

      Delete
  4. 80K contributions to your dividend growth portfolio is a great goal. I'm a long way from ever being able to have that much free capital to invest in a year. Keep at it, you're making good progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My FIJ,

      Thanks for stopping by to comment. Owning a business makes my income a little less predictable. I hope to beat the 80k mark I set. This should be a great year for me.

      You are making nice progress yourself. You have a great looking portfolio started, it's just a matter of time and those dividends will start snowballing in.

      Delete