Saturday, February 23, 2013

Options Trade - Caterpillar (CAT)

On Thursday I closed out a PM put for a nice profit.  Right afterwards I saw there had been some short-term weakness in the share price of one of my holdings, CAT, and decided to set a limit order.  My limit order ended up filling towards the end of the day.

The Trade:

I sold 1 CAT Aug 17 '13 $85 Put @ 4.00

If I wait until expiration I will get to keep the entire $400 in premiums or I will be put 100 shares of  CAT at a cost of $81/share.  I can live with both of those outcomes.  If shares of CAT appreciate before Aug 17 then I may decided to close out the put early in the same way I did with the PM put. 

I now have 15 open options positions and my options page has been updated accordingly. 

4 comments:

  1. wow, that is a juicy premium! I like (and learn) selling puts on stocks which I want to own. Before I was scared of assignment until I realized it can be a good thing if you sell it knowing you are OK with both outcomes. I wish I have more money to do this more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, it is a nice premium but I also have to come up with a lot of money if it gets assigned. As you point out, if you are happy with all outcomes then it is a win-win scenario.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Quality Stocks,

      I figure if I can buy more of a stock I like at a price that's at least 10% cheaper than my cost basis or get to collect $400 if CAT shares go up then I win either way.

      Take care!

      Delete