Thursday, April 4, 2013

Monthly Update - March

The first quarter is over and the year has started with a bang!  I have earned $909.31 in dividends and $1478 in options income so far in 2013.

Below is a summary of my activity for the month:

New Purchases:

52 shares of LO
58 shares of KMI
$1000 of CAT
$800 of WFC
$1200 of TD
$300 of PEP
$1375 of RDS.B
$1525 of TEVA

Posts about new purchases can all be found by following the "Buys" label here.

Sells:
100 Shares of WM (called away)

Options Trades:

I sold puts in BBVA, LO and INTC.  I closed or had expired puts in INTC, BBVA and LO.  I earned $448 in profits from puts that I closed out or that expired this month giving me a total so far of $1478.  I've updated all of these trades on my Options tab.

Dividends:

I earned $577.09 in dividends for the month.  This was my first time to break $500!  My total year-to-date dividend income is now $909.31. I've updated my dividend income on my Dividends tab.

Forward 12-month Dividends:

My expected future 12-months of dividend income has increased to $4750.25 from $4491.40, an increase of 5.8% in one month.

Goals:

I've already met two of these goals so far this year.  The newest goal won't help my dividend income but it will give me a lot of satisfaction!  I mentioned that purchase here.  All of my goals can be found on the Goals tab.

Real Estate:

I just increased rent by $100/mo on my house rental.  That's practically another $1200 profit in my pocket per year!  That post can be found here.  The condo rental is up next in another month.  I hope to increase that rent also.  My goal to refinance my first mortgage into a lower interest rate may not happen since rates have been increasing.  We will see how that plays out.  All of my real estate posts will be found on my real estate label here.

Looking Ahead:

I expect to have a decent dividend month in April due to a once yearly payment from NVS. My goal of $5000 in dividend this year will be tough to make.  I'm under $1000 with one quarter gone so I hope the second half of the year can catch me up.

My options income is still way ahead of my dividend income.  I already have a couple of closed puts in April for profit.  I don't think dividend income can pass up options income until late in the year.  

I've set some aggressive goals for my dividend growth.  In order to meet my goal of $6500 of forward dividends then I will need to contribute another $50k to my portfolio this year at an average yield of 3.5%.  I'm currently averaging over $6000/month in contributions and I plan to increase that after I pay taxes so I am ahead of schedule.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome progress on your goals! That option income is really fantastic considering the amount of capital tied up to earn those returns. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks writing2reality! It is impressive that my options account of only 12k is producing more income than my DG portfolio that's 10 times its size. I don't know if that can continue but I will try.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting over $500 in dividends. Your string of regular investments is rapidly increasing your forward dividend total, which is great to see. It's awesome watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DGM! The weekly contributions are definitely helping. It's fun to watch the future dividend stream increase each and ever week.

      Take care!

      Delete
  3. AAI,

    Tremendous progress! Really fantastic.

    It looks like you invested about $10k this month. That's phenomenal. That's pretty epic stuff right there.

    Congrats on breaking the $500 mark! I hope to reach that maybe December this year or March of next year. We'll see.

    Keep up the great work and keep on investing that cash. Your real estate is also doing fantastic. You're sitting pretty!!

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DM,

      Well it was closer to 7k net due to the sell of WM. Either way it still gave me a nice boost to future dividend income.

      You are well on your way to the $500 mark. I hope we both achieve all of our goals.

      So far the real estate is giving me a nice income boost. Until my DG portfolio catches up in value I don't plan on any more purchases or over payments on mortgages. I hope to be caught up by the end of the year.

      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Good job AAI.

    Our buys this month are similiar. I like the fact that you have both rental and dividend income. Good stuff!

    Cheers,
    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AA,

      We have made some similar purchases. I was looking at BBL but bought APD instead as a materials play. INTC, CAT, WFC, TD, RDS.B, TEVA and APD are at the top of my shopping list.

      Thanks! I think the diversification in both real estate and dividend income with be beneficial later on.

      Your dividend stream is really impressive. Your dividend snowball is a lot bigger than mine, I am trying to catch up.

      Take care!

      Delete
  5. I like your progress. It is inspiring and motivating for me to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Martin,

      I'm happy that my progress is an inspiration. Inspiring one person makes it worth keeping up with my blog.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete