Saturday, January 18, 2014

DIY - Replacing Fan Lights with LED's





I posted about one of my 2014 goals to reduce my energy usage.  What better way to reduce energy production than to become more energy efficient and save money at the same time.

I wanted to give an example of a fan I just replaced lights on this weekend and break out the cost savings.

If you read my article, "Why I'm Replacing All of My Light Bulbs with LED Bulbs", you may have noticed all of the ridiculous sizes of these bulbs.  Granted, most of my sockets are the standard (E26) and the candelabra (E12).  However, I have one fan that has E17 sockets!  This is an intermediate size and I couldn't even find any LED bulbs to match this size.

So what I did find was an adapter.  Yes, I found an adapter on Amazon that screws onto a candelabra bulb and turns it into a medium socket bulb.

What this means is that I can use my candelabra size LED's in the medium socket.  I was skeptical at first and just ordered 1.  I installed it and it worked like a charm.  This was last week.

I ordered 3 more adapters and put them on this week.  They work perfectly.  Here's the part from Amazon if you're interested (they are $3.92 shipped). 




The LED's that I've ordered and used a few times are from FEIT electric.  They fit a candelabra screw base (standard in fans, lanterns, etc.)  It's basically the skinny sockets you see in your house. These are the ones I used with the adapters.  They use 4.8 Watts per bulb and put out 300 lumens of light.  My wife also liked the shape and color of light better from these bulbs than our old bulbs.

If you do decide to buy these bulbs or the adapter please click on the picture to go to Amazon so I can get a very small credit. 





These are the cheapest candelabra LED's I've found so far.  They are currently $17.83 + $4.99 shipping.  I had to order a few packs to replace different bulbs around the house.

Keep in mind, these are the only intermediate sockets I've found so far in my house.  So this install was a little more expensive than normal.  However, it's still worth it.  I'll show you why.

The total per bulb replacement was $7.61 (bulb) + $3.92 (adapter) = $11.53
There were 4 bulbs so the total cost to replace the bulbs in this fan were $46.12.

The bulbs that I replaced were also from FEIT but were 40W incandescent bulbs.  So when in use, my 4 LED bulbs use 19.2 Watts of electricity.  This compares to 160 Watts of electricity!

This fan is in my living room so they are probably on for only 1 hour a day.  Obviously, the more you use the lights that you are replacing, the faster you get your money back and start saving.

At 1 hour per day (365 hours/year), the old lights would use 58,400 Wh or 58.4 KWh.   At $0.13/kwh, this is $7.60.  

The new LED lights use 7KWh or $0.90 worth of electricity.  This is a savings of $6.70/year.  At this rate, the breakeven on my fan would be 6.9 years.  For an investment, this really isn't that bad.  This is also an extreme example where I needed an adapter and also only use the lights for 1 hour a day.

Let's pretend I didn't need that adapter (most people won't) and that you use those lights for 3 hours/day.

The four replacement bulbs would cost $30.44 without the adapters. Your yearly energy cost would be $22.80 with the old bulbs (40 watt) and $2.70 for the new LED bulbs (4.8W).

The savings is $20.10 and your breakeven point would be about 1.5 years.  Now how many investments can you get your money back in 1.5 years and then save money for another 21.3 years?! That's right , the LED bulbs also last way longer so you'll be getting rewarded for many more years.




6 comments:

  1. Great stuff, AAI.
    As we start realizing that we cant burn our fossil fuels forever, alternate strategies (solar, wind) will become more mainstream. However, that means nothing if people continue using energy without changing their habits. Getting rid of incandescent bulbs is one the low-hanging fruit that is within everyone's grasps.
    Canada recently imposed a ban on selling incandescent bulbs starting Jan 1 - nudging people to start using CFLs or LEDs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi R2R,

      You're right. The completely renewable energies will become the wave of the future. Now, there's a long time before CVX or COP runs out of reserves so the world will make a slow transition. Incandescent bulbs are by far the easiest thing you can do to lower your power consumption.

      The U.S. has a ban as well on most traditional incandescent bulbs with the last part of the ban starting this month.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think most of the lights in my house are those circular ones so I'd have to replace the entire fixture sadly. I do have a couple of them outside though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Captain,

      Are you talking about the recessed can lights? I think they just screw out like a normal light. The lights in my kitchen are just like those and are coming up on my list to change. I'm sure you must have some fans right? Unless that's only common here in Texas where it gets so hot. There's usually fans in every room. I'll be sure and mention about those recessed lights when I change them.

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Nah they aren't can lights. They are like the bulbs here ...

      http://www.lampsplus.com/products/30-watt-circular-warm-white-light-cfl-light-bulb__r1443.html

      I do have a ceiling fan but just in 1 room.

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, I've never seen those before. It's crazy how many different sizes and shapes there are.

      Delete