Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Norfolk Southern (NSC) Increases Dividend



NSC announced today an increase of $.02 from $0.52 to $0.54/share payable on March 10 to shareholders of record on February 7th.

This was a nice surprise since I wasn't expecting a raise until August.  This is the second raise in less than 6 months and my second raise of the year for my portfolio (the fist was OHI).  

Since I own 72 shares, this will increase my quarterly income by $1.44.


6 comments:

  1. Ive been considering NSC since I dont own any railroads. What do your thoughts on the valuation at the current levels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NSC has a P/E of 15.6 with a 5-year average of 15.0. S&P Capital gives them a 9% EPS CAGR over the next 3 years. They yield 2.4%. They are sitting not far from their 52-week high. I would consider them fair to slightly overvalued here.

      Delete
  2. I didn't think that was their normal increase schedule. Although unexpected increases are always welcome. And you increase was bigger than that, that's a $1.44 extra per quarter. The news keeps getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they paid the same dividend for a full year and I think the year before they did two increases so they are back to two increases a year I'm guessing for this year. I'll take any increase I can get. You're right, I meant per quarter.

      Delete
  3. Until now I have only Union Pacific in my watchlist.
    But Norfolk Southern is a little bit better, I think so.

    Time to put NSC on my watchlist - I´ll hurry me... ;-)

    regards and thanks for named this company!
    D-S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi D-S,

    I am glad I brought the company to your attention. NSC has a lot of positives going for them.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete