Thursday, January 2, 2014

January 2014 10-year YOC CCC Rankings



*photo courtesy of ESPN

I'm trying to do these each month as long as there's interest but I was busy and didn't get to for December.  

You can find previous months by following my Articles label.

I decided to take the CCC spreadsheet and rank the stocks based on their 10-year YOC.  If you are unfamiliar with what Yield-On-Cost is (YOC) then refer to my resources tab or see below for an example.  If you don't know about David Fish's Champion, Challenger and Contender (CCC) spreadsheet then you are doing yourself a disservice, the link is also on my resources tab.

Let's say you purchased a stock at $10/share in 2013 that paid a 4% dividend or $0.40/share. In order to achieve a 10-year YOC of 10% that stock would need to pay out at least $1.00/share by 2023.

You may wonder why I care about a 10-year YOC instead of just the 1,3,5 and 10-year CAGR's. The main factor that the CAGR leaves out is the starting dividend yield.  The starting dividend in combination with the dividend growth rate will greatly influence your returns.

There's a variation of this screen used alot by members of the Seeking Alpha community and it's coined the "Chowder Rule".  This can also be found now on the CCC sheets.  The rule basically adds the starting yield with the dividend growth rate (5-year CAGR) and looks for it to be higher than a certain number.  While this can be a useful screen, there is still a discrepancy between dividend payers that have different growth rates but still arrive at the same number.  For instance, a 3% yielder with 5% growth would get the same grade (an 8) as a 5% yielder with 3% growth.  Holding a lower yielding stock with a higher growth rate will at some point provide higher returns assuming the growth rates don't change.  My 10-year YOC would give this 3% and 5% yielder a 4.9 and 6.7 respectively.

The purpose of this screening process will be to identify unfamiliar companies that have a high expected dividend growth rate combined with a starting yield that would produce greater returns. These companies may be good candidates for further research.

The first step was to sort all stocks by their current dividend yield and eliminate any stocks not paying at least a 2% yield.  

Next I sorted all columns by TTM P/E and eliminated every stock with a TTM P/E over 18.  I do realize this eliminates a lot of REIT's, MLP's, and telecom stocks.  I'm ok with this since I'm not really targeting these stocks right now.  

Then I decided to eliminate any Champions with a 10-Year CAGR < 5%, followed by any Contenders with a 5-Year CAGR < 7 % and finally any Challengers with a 3-year CAGR < 7%.

This last screen dropped the list of Champions, Contenders and Challengers to 18, 39(+4) and 31(+3) respectively.

Next I took the latest CCC sheet and added some new columns to calculate a 10-year YOC using each stock's 1,3, 5 and 10-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR). I will call these new metrics 10YOC1, 10YOC3, 10YOC5, and 10YOC10 for simplicity.

After sorting, I looked for any companies that had a 10YOC1, 10YOC3, 10YOC5 or 10YOC10 of 10% or higher. I applied this to the list of Champions, Contenders and Challengers. After applying this rule the lists dropped to 10, 25, and 27 companies respectively.

Next, I wanted to look to see if the DGR was increasing or decreasing. I highlighted in red the 10-year YOC's of companies that were both reducing their rate of increases and still under 10%.

This is a previous example of how it looked:


Companies got credit for increasing their dividends at faster rates. For example: The 10YOC5 for AWR in the example above was 4.97 and did not get highlighted in red because its 10YOC5 was higher than its 10YOC10 of 4.09.

Next, I decided to remove any company that had a 10YOC1 in the red for Champions and a 10YOC1 or 10YOC3 in red for Contenders and Challengers.

For the Example Champions list above this removed LEG, MDT, NUE and WMT.

This elimination dropped the list sizes for the Champions, Contenders and Challengers to 4, 11 and 18 respectively.   

Here are the 33 candidates left that may be worthy to do further research on.

Champions


 (click to enlarge)

Contenders


 (click to enlarge)

Challengers


(click to enlarge)


The list I came up with in December had 37 candidates.  It's not surprising that this number has dropped once again as the markets have gone up, which has caused starting yields to go down.

A new company, Helmerich & Payne (HP), is on the Champions list.    They have increased their dividend for 42 straight years!  However, they weren't previously on my list because of a much lower yield.  HP paid out .07 quarterly in 2012 and paid .15, .15, .50, .50 in 2013. They also already declared another increase to .625 payable March 3rd of 2014 with an ex-dividend of Feb 12th.  HP is in the business of contract drilling of oil and gas wells both on and offshore.  I just recently picked up shares of ESV (mentioned here) which has similar services.  However, ESV is all offshore drilling.  Instead of adding to ESV I'm considering 1/2 positions in ESV and HP assuming the research I do on HP checks out.  I think the companies could compliment each other.

COP made the Contenders list.  I own COP and it's at full weight currently but I'd add more if it gets back down to at least 65.

On the challengers list I've already recently added to PM.  Also on the challengers is BAX which I think is at fair value right here.  I haven't considered the company before since I already own both BDX and MDT but I'll be looking into the company more.  BAX does have a higher starting yield which I like.

Keep in mind that this is just a starting point and I feel these companies need further research before making an investment.


18 comments:

  1. I do a lot of work on HP rigs and that would have been a good example of buying what you know, but I never did. The yield was just too low. Almost all of the work that I do is on one of H&P's rigs, actually I think except for one job that's all I've been on in over 1.5 years. I like these updates as it gives some fresh ideas to what's out there. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PIP,

      I had never heard of HP before until It popped up on my list. That's surprising I hadn't heard of a dividend champion. They've been off the radar of a lot of investors due to the lower dividend which is now much higher. The share price has had a nice run the last 6 months. I'm happy you like the updates and my plan is to keep doing monthly.

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the work!
    It's always interesting to see the results of analysis by others.
    This brings a lot of good ideas!
    Thanks for that!

    Best regards
    D-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D-S,

      I'm glad you like the screen I used. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Love these updates.

    I'm looking at TGH if it drops to $32-$34

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ffdividend,

      Thanks! I'm also watching TGH myself as I need to bring it up to a full weight. However, I'm not as happy with the last couple of dividend increases. It seems they have been slowing down the raises. I know they invested in a lot of new containers so I'm sure they will pick up steam again.

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. Haha, Nice work AAI. The power of growing dividends!
    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan,

      Thanks! Indeed, the compounding effects work wonders for your wealth. These investments just need a little time to really see the compounding.

      Take care

      Delete
  5. I was looking at HP just before I bought ESV. Went with the latter because it looked "more" unloved and EPS growth is expected to be better. I would consider HP under $80 as I'd like a higher yield. If it helps any, iqtrends.com says HP is severely undervalued but it didn't make it on to the lucky list (2014: COP, CVX, OXY, XOM).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ADY,

      I was wondering if you had seen that one. I'll be sure and do a little more research on HP before making an investment. I've never used iqtrends but it looks like a worthy tool. It seems they put most of their weight on average historic dividend yields which is why HP would be a screaming buy with the recent raises. Those other companies are all solid energy companies and I own two: COP and CVX.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. After reading Dividends Still Don't Lie, I paid $45 for a two month trial subscription (Dec 2013 and Jan 2014). I like to see what others are doing and how they are doing it. I won't renew as I'm not into news letters but I did get my $45 dollars worth. Have you had a look at RIG recently? With a $3 dividend, it yields over 6%! I would like to get into CVX, HP, more BP and maybe some RIG, but then I might worry that my exposure to energy is too high. But right now, energy is attractive compared to other sectors (wrt valuation). What percent of your portfolio is energy? Thanks and keep it up. You're on quite the roll.

      Delete
    3. I used to own RIG and sold them when they cut the dividend. It's not all about the yield, i'm looking at dividend growth and history of increases. HP looks attractive to me so not sure what I'll do. Take a look at my portfolio page, I have a sector graph that's updated in real-time just below my portfolio. Currently Energy is my largest sector at 20% followed by consumer staples at 16.7%. I agree that the energy sector in general offers one of the best values currently. I still have a long ways to go so I'm not worried about going a little overweight energy right now. My money is going to where I see the most attractive values.

      Delete
  6. Interesting that you mentioned HP, I was looking at it the other month. At first glance it appears pretty compelling plus it has champion status. A lot of comfort with a 42 year streak, at least for me. I will have to look it a bit closer this weekend, but if I remember correctly it typically only does an increase every other year (but still is a champion by Mr Fish's definition).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CI,

      I agree that it's comforting to know they have a long history (42 years) of increasing dividends. Just glancing over the last 5 years looks like they've raised dividends every 4 or 6 quarters until recently when they've raised every two quarters. I think the company is worth researching further.

      Take care!

      Delete
  7. Love this analysis! Please keep them coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's fun to do and I'm happy you find it helpful. I'll keep them up

      Best wishes

      Delete
  8. Do I read it correctly that MCD will have 39% 10 YOC? If so, it is quite surprising. I have never reviewed it and MCD looks like a lazy stock. This is quite nice performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin,

      That was a previous example I used to make a point. You are correct that when I wrote that first article if you take MCD's starting yield and the 10-year CAGR rate holds for 10 more years, then your YOC would become 39%.

      I think TGT's 10YOC10 is impressive at 16.5%. That means that currently if TGT keeps the same dividend growth rate as its 10-year CAGR for 10 more years then your yield on cost would be 16.5%.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete